At JMK, sustainability and environmental awareness are a key part of our program. We recognise that learning about the impact we have on our environment should be a central part of our philosophy, and empower our children to find small but important ways they can have a real impact on the environmental impact of our kindergarten.
- 'Naked Lunches' (lunches with minimal to no packaging) are strongly encouraged, and are a key part of our philosophy.
- Through the use of the 'Bokashi One' compost bins we are teaching our children about the positive effects of composting.
- We have a healthy vegetable garden that our children take care of, allowing them to explore our relationship with food.
- We strongly encourage sustainable water usage, through the use of our 'push taps' in the children's bathroom, and our rainwater tank.
- Recycling with VISY
- Passive solar techniques used through the use of adjustable outside shades.
- John Mackenzie Kindergarten participates in Earth Hour each year, using it to talk to the children about sustainability, and simple ways they can make a real difference.